Subject: FW: Invitation: ILO report launch “Profits and Poverty: The Economics of Forced Labour”, 19 March 2024 – 9.30-11.30
From: "SM Info"
To: "MKM info"
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2024 11:05:10 +0200

From: ILO-Brussels <[email-masked]>
Sent: Friday, February 23, 2024 10:45 AM
To: SM Info <[email-masked]>
Subject: Invitation: ILO report launch “Profits and Poverty: The Economics 
of Forced Labour”, 19 March 2024 – 9.30-11.30

 <https://adestra.ilo.org/c/17Beu67EKque9iR7xBnzjldAkgk> 
<https://adestra.ilo.org/c/17Beu67EKque9iR7xBnzjldAkgk>

Event invitation

Global launch new ILO report

Profits and Poverty: The Economics of Forced Labour

Tuesday 19 March 2024, 9.30-11.30 CET
Hybrid meeting: in-person at the Résidence Palace, rue de la Loi 155,
1040 Bruxelles and via webstream

 <https://adestra.ilo.org/c/17BeudUnpfEJ6JUFGKVDPJZSFbx> Register now

We are pleased to invite you to the global launch of a new ILO report 
<https://adestra.ilo.org/c/17BeulH644Pe4aYdPUtIm8Mb06K>  entitled “Profits 
and Poverty: The Economics of Forced Labour”.

This report estimates the illegal profits generated from forced labour in 
the world today. These profits reflect the wages effectively stolen from the 
pockets of workers by the perpetrators of forced labour through their 
coercive practices. Understanding and addressing these illicit profits is 
critical to achieve progress in the fight against forced labour.

This high-level event will be co-hosted by MEP Bernd Lange, who is also the 
Chair of the European Parliament’s Committee on International Trade and ILO 
Assistant Director-General for Governance, Rights and Dialogue, Manuela 
Tomei.

28 million people were trapped in forced labour on any given day in 2021. 
Forced labour is a criminal offence and a serious violation of fundamental 
human rights. Beyond the individual consequences for the victims, forced 
labour comes with economic and social costs for the entire society. The ILO 
report, which is funded by the government of France, will shed light on the 
link between forced labour and the economic incentive structures driving it.

The event will also provide a unique opportunity to take stock of the 
progress on the negotiations on the EU’s ban on products made with forced 
labour and to discuss key measures needed to tackle the root causes of 
forced labour.

This hybrid event will take place on Tuesday 19 March 2024 from 9.30 until 
11.30 CET at the Résidence Palace in Brussels and will bring together 
high-level speakers. A welcome coffee will be served at 9.00. You can also 
participate via webstream. Interpretation will be provided in English and 
French.

Secure your spot by  <https://adestra.ilo.org/c/17BeuttOITZJ1C1LZ41MSxytl1X> 
registering here. After registering, you will receive a confirmation e-mail 
within 2-3 working days containing information about joining the conference 
(in-person or via webstream).

We look forward to welcoming you.

Programme

Time

Description

09.00

Networking coffee

09.30

Opening remarks by

*         Bernd Lange, Member of the European Parliament, Member of the INTA 
Committee

*         Manuela Tomei, Assistant Director-General Governance, Rights and 
Dialogue, ILO

*         Pierre-Yves Dermagne, Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of the 
Economy and Employment of Belgium

09.50

Keynote speech by Valdis Dombrovskis, Executive Vice-President of the 
European Commission

10.00

Presentation of key findings

*         Michaëlle De Cock, Head of Research and Evaluation Unit, ILO

*         Francesca Francavilla, Senior Economist, ILO

10.20

High-level discussion, moderated by Lieve Verboven, Director of the ILO 
Office for the European Union and the Benelux countries

*	Diane Schmitt, EU Anti-Trafficking Coordinator
*	a representative of the European Commission’s DG INTPA (tbc)
*	Renate Hornung Draus, Vice-President to the ILO, International 
Organisation of Employers (IOE)
*	Esther Lynch, General Secretary, European Trade Union Confederation (ETUC)

10.50

Q&A with the audience moderated by Lieve Verboven

11.20

Closing remarks

*         Anousheh Karvar, French Government Delegate to the International 
Labour Organisation (tbc)

*         Bernd Lange, Member of the European Parliament, Member of the INTA 
Committee

Follow us

 <https://adestra.ilo.org/c/17BeuBgxnJadZ35k8dzRoWkLFXa>

Sent to: [email-masked]

 <https://adestra.ilo.org/u/13GwOl6f39WodDTGnWei2M> Unsubscribe ｜ 
<https://adestra.ilo.org/c/17BeuJ3g2ykIWu8Shn7VVl740Sn> Privacy Policy

ILO Office for the European Union and the Benelux countries

37 boulevard du Régent

B-1000 Brussels

Belgium